Thursday, July 23, 2009

Stealing...not nice

So my almost 3 year old has been getting himself into trouble. We haven't figured out if he is seeking attention, pushing our limits or just being 3. It is probably all of the above. Yesterday we had our first encounter of stealing..granted I don't think he realized that what he was doing was wrong. It all started when I picked him up from school (daycare) and his teacher told me he was not acting very nice. He had been pushing and taking train tracks away from his friends. So I told him no cookie (it was cookie day at school), which he seemed fine with until we were walking past them. As we went past them he had a fit, then the director of the center made a deal with him. If he was good the next day then he would be able to have a cookie that she was saving for him. That seem to calm him down.

We then headed to California Tortilla for dinner. I had debated whether or not to go since it was a treat and he may seem like he was getting a reward, but i figured he was punished enough without a cookie - plus it woudl be more punishment for me..I would have to cook! We walk in and at the counter they had cookies and brownies sitting in baskets so people would add them to their meals. Well I order his dinner and get his free brownie that comes with the kids meal. Owen then goes and sits in the booth and I was thinking what a good boy, boy was I wrong. I go over and he is there eating a stolen cookie! I couldn't get too upset because it would cause a scene, but took the cookie away and then put in his bag. I did make him go apologize and we then paid for the cookie. I was pretty furious with him about that and with him not acting nice at school. I should have marched him out of the resturant but we had already ordered and food was coming. Next time we will just pack everythign up to go and eat at home..